Permit Forms & Other Documents

What Are The Different Types Of Permits?

The Community Development Department issues residential building permits and zoning certificates for one, two, and three-family homes. Permits are also issued by the City. Permit application (PDF).

Buildings containing four or more dwelling units and non-residential buildings are considered “commercial” buildings. The City issues the zoning certificates for these properties. The Hamilton County Building Department regulates and issues building permits for these properties on behalf of the City of Wyoming. For questions about commercial building permits, contact Hamilton County at 513-946-4550 or Visit Hamilton County Building And Inspections Website.

The City requires a Public Area Excavation (PAE) permit for all work in the public right-of-way. Download the Public Area Excavation Application (PDF).

The City also issues permits for temporary outdoor dining, transient businesses, and food trucks. To operate one of these uses. Download The Application.

When Is A Zoning Certificate Or Building Permit Required?

Permits are not required for improvements such as

  • Painting
  • Wallpapering
  • Carpeting
  • Tiling
  • Cosmetic projects
  • Planting or removing trees and shrubs on private property

Examples of work requiring a zoning and/or building permit include but are not limited to

  • New construction of one, two, and three-family homes
  • Structural changes to existing buildings, including cutting away from, adding, or otherwise altering any partition or wall
  • Construction or alteration of a room addition, garage, carport, shed, deck, or gazebo
  • Demolition of a principal structure and certain accessory structures
  • Finishing or remodeling of a basement or other unfinished space
  • Installation or replacement of a furnace, air conditioner, wood-burning stove, fireplace, or other similar mechanical equipment
  • Installation of new doors or windows
  • Grading, filling, excavation, or any significant change in the grade of the property
  • Replacement of a roof or roof covering, including significant repair
  • Solar panel installation
  • Driveway installation or replacement
  • Installation of a fence, wall, retaining wall, or patio
  • Installation of signage
  • Installation of an above or in-ground swimming pool
  • Adding drain lines for gutters or yard/area drains
  • Any work done within the City rights-of-way
  • Changes in use and/or structural alterations to commercial or institutional properties (Development Plan/Development Plan Exemption (PDF))

There are additional requirements if a property is located in the Village Historic District and/or is on the National Register of Historic Places. For more information, visit the Historic Preservation Commission page.

If you are certain that you will need to request a variance or wish to appeal a zoning decision, visit the Board of Zoning Appeals Page.

How Do I Obtain A Building Permit & Zoning Certificate?

To apply for a zoning certificate (residential or commercial properties), residential building permit, or a sign permit, Download The Application (PDF). Our permit application is a universal form for all project types, with the exception of work done in the Public Right-Of-Way (PDF) and Temporary Outdoor Dining, Transient Businesses, And Food Trucks (PDF).

If you are doing work in the public right-of-way involving the public sidewalk, driveway apron, curb cut, or street cut, or for any work involving public areas Download A Public Area Excavation Application (PDF).

Permit applications for projects except interior work, typically require a survey-based site plan to ensure zoning requirements are met. Site plans must include the location of the survey documentation and the distance the improvement is from the property line.

The documents required to accompany the application vary depending on the specific type of project. Smaller projects may only require the submission of a written explanation of the project, while additions or structural alterations require a more comprehensive set of documents. All projects requiring a building permit must demonstrate it meets the provisions of the Residential Code of Ohio.

Permit applications must be accompanied by the following (unless a narrative is sufficient)

  • Interior work
    Three sets of construction drawings
  • Exterior work
    Three sets of construction drawings and three copies of a survey-based site plan

Fees and charges for the various permits are provided in the Fee Schedule (PDF). Permit fees are collected after an application is approved, but prior to permit issuance (no application fee is required). Once a permit is issued, work on the approved project can begin.

The property owner is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the proper permit(s) are obtained regardless of their agreement with their builder/contractor. Owners should always make sure all of the necessary building and/or zoning permits are obtained and had the required inspections. Check the Residential Building Inspection Page.

For more information on the permitting process, please view Frequently Asked Questions. If there are additional questions, please contact the Community Development staff at 513-821-7600.

Residential Code Of Ohio

The City of Wyoming administers the 2019 Residential Code of Ohio in accordance with the rules that have been adopted by the Ohio Board of Building Standards which regulates residential construction throughout the State. Ohio Codes are available to the public on the BBS website. Click on the “Codes” tab at the top of the page and follow the prompts. General questions regarding the Residential Code of Ohio may be directed to the Community Development Department at 513-821-7600.

Permits For Temporary Outdoor Dining Facility, Transient Business, Or Food Truck

A temporary outdoor dining facility, transient business, or food truck requires a special use permit from the City. The requirements are outlined in Chapter 1188 of the Zoning Code. Download the Application (PDF).

Plumbing & Electrical Permits

Plumbing and electrical permits are required when a project involves these trades. Please contact the following agencies to obtain applications, schedule inspections, or if you have any questions as to the necessity of these permits.

For plumbing permits contact the
Hamilton County Public Health Department
250 William Howard Taft
Cincinnati, OH 45219
Phone: 513-946-7800
Or visit Hamilton County Public Health website.

For electric permits, contact the
Inspection Bureau Incorporated
250 E. Court Street, Suite 125
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Phone: 513-381-6080
Or visit The Inspection Bureau website.

Fire Department Review

All plans requiring Fire Department review are to be routed through the
Community Development Department
800 Oak Avenue
unless otherwise being routed directly from the Hamilton County Department of Building and Inspections.

Private Sewage Treatment Systems

Properties with septic and other private sewer systems are required to observe specific regulations to ensure that these systems are properly maintained, adequately sized, and sufficiently distanced from the home and other improvements. When owners of these properties are contemplating any changes to the footprint of their homes, adding bedrooms to their existing homes, or performing certain improvements, the Hamilton County Public Health District must inspect the system and approve the plans before Wyoming can approve a permit. For a list of properties with private sewage treatment systems in Wyoming, or to determine whether your home is connected to a private sewage treatment system, check the Property List (PDF). If your property is on the list, please contact the Hamilton County Public Health District at 513-946-7871 to discuss the regulations and the review/approval process.

Call Before You Dig

The Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS) is the federally-mandated national “Call Before You Dig” number, 811. Constructing an addition? Planting a tree? Installing a mailbox? 811 is the number you need to call before you begin any digging. It’s a free service and it is the law. For more information, visit the Call 811 website.

Additional Information

Energy Conservation Software – Energy Conservation Software for residential buildings (ResCheck) may be downloaded from the US Department of Energy.